Rarely do we come across a female entrepreneur who comes armed with a laundry list of achievements, so do pay heed.
1. What is the start-up story behind your pursuit as an artist/designer?
I’ve always loved music and wrote songs/thoughts/experiences over beats but started taking it more seriously as a recording artist a couple years ago… As far as a FINCH Clothing, it originally started as merchandising for “FRANKIE FINCH” and people started demanding more of it, so I decided to parlay it into a full independent clothing brand.
2. Describe your music + clothing line, what is it like? What are three words that best define it?
The Music: Lyrics usually come from my daily grind for success, lifestyle, guys, experiences or sometime the music (the track) leads the way to what comes out on the mic.
3 Words: FF is “Flossy, Glossy definitely Bossy!”
The Clothing: Edgy, Fun & In YO Face graphics. FINCH cut & sew pieces is well constructed w/ bold colors and tons of detail.
3. What is your definition of success, and how much of it do you think you’ve achieved?
Success to me is happiness & having a great relationship with God. Everything after that is just cherries on top.
4. What are some recent achievements you’re proud of and would like to share?
5. What’s something that’s always running inside your mind lately?
Music, Outfits & Business.
6. What would you spend you a million dollars on?
Help build more wells in Africa & some parts of Asia so villages can drink clean water & children don’t have to walk miles daily for contaminated water that causes their families to die.
7. What’s one incident that would serve as a turning point to your life?
When my dad was in the hospital for 3 days and we thought we were gonna lose him… It made me realize that life is sensitive and not to take your life & family for granted.
8. What three pieces of advice would you give to others when it comes to life and business?
Believe in yourself, Don’t sell out & Never give up.
9. What have been some of your failures, and what have you learned from them?
I’ve lost a lot of great opportunities & deals for not being on time. Lesson learned: Always be on time.
10. What’s a typical day in your life like?
Anything can happen… There is no such thing as a “Typical Day” with FRANKIE FINCH. Usually I get a training session in daily (Except Sat & Sun.) Listen to a Joel Osteen podcast while I’m showering & brushing my hair (Home or Hotel) Pray for 30 mins. before checking my phone for calls & emails… I go to meetings w/ executives, producers, sometimes recording sessions, writing sessions, photo shoots, rehearsals, vocal coaching, eating cupcakes, making cupcakes… Or sometime I fit all of the above in 20 hrs. I typically sleep 4hrs a day…. I know, I know… I NEED more Sleep! Lol
11. What’s one of the highlighting moment in your career? Why is it so?
Shooting a TV pilot for the FRANKIE FINCH Story on VH1… Tons of funnn!
12. What stops you from throwing in the towel and giving up during those frustrating days of being in this industry?
It’s not an option for Finchy… I’m built for the entertainment industry; it’s in my blood.
13. Biggest risk ever taken?
Movin’ to LA by myself.
14. Who has influenced you most and been your greatest inspiration?
Blondie (Debra Harry) for being an innovator, the 1st lady to rap/sing & be sexy with it all at the same time. I like Jay-Z a lot because of his amazing lyrics & delivery, plus he gotta mean business sense.
15. How do you go about marketing your business or yourself? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Facebook, Myspace, iLike, Twitter, online interviews, shows, hosting events & word of mouth but the most successful has been all the online social network outlets.
16. In three words, characterize who you are.
Fun, Loyal & God Fearing
17. Excluding yours, what company or business do you admire the most?
Marc Jacobs and Diddy.
18. How do you achieve balance in your life?
Strong relationship with God, Family & Friends!
19. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
Well established in Music, Fashion Career & My Personal Life.
20. What’s the first thing you would say to the world if all attention was on you?
Whatever dream God has planted in your heart, move forward with it.
It’s there for a reason & He’s not gonna let you down… Trusssssssssst!!!
Here’s a wealth of information on Frankie Finch!
- Interview conducted by Andrew Wang (Allurre)