Introducing: Ill Magik | New Zealand Streetwear Brand
Check out this exclusive interview with New Zealand (Kapiti Coast Aotearoa) based Streetwear Brand Clothing: Ill Magik , “Illuminate Minds, Make Magik”!
1. What is the start-up story behind your brand?
At high school we were the bboys, the taggers, the freestylers, the beatboxers, Hip Hop heads and sneaker freaks with a problem with authority and a rebellious attitude.
Graffing up our clothes and shoes to rep our crew and what we were in to, it was only a matter of time before it would elevate to a more professional standard.
The first Ill Magik Tshirt was printed by my brother in 2011 with no intension of selling.
We instantly realised the potential and began growing the foundations for a business.
2. Describe your visual concepts, what is it like? What are three words that best define it?
The designs come out in collections and each collection has a different theme or message. When designing for Ill Magik I try to create something eye catching, I love to use a lot of symbolism, having a graffiti artist background I understand the power of a name or symbol, most concepts have a subliminal meaning. Three words to define the visual concepts of Ill Magik; Illuminate, Your, Mind.
3. In three words, characterize who you are.
Weird, Crazy, Loner
4. What’s something that’s always running inside your mind lately?
“Now is the time, motivate yourself, have fun, give thanks, get inspired and inspire others!”
5. Being in your position, I’m sure it can be overwhelming with the workload.
How do you achieve balance in life?
Daily meditation and reflection combined with regular exercise, working on my craft, eating well and having fun.
6. What’s one incident that would serve as a turning point to your life?
When I held my baby brother for the first time, I immediately knew the person I wanted to be.
7. What three pieces of advice would you give to others when it comes to life & career?
Do what you love, Never stop learning, Have fun with your life here.
8. What’s a typical day in your life like?
Wake up next to my beautiful girl, hit the studio and put in work, make stops for exercise, eating, sun and meditation, then back into the studio for most of the night.
9. What’s one of the highlighting moments in your career? Why is it so?
I was working in a freezing works full time cutting up meat for 5 years.
As I grew as a person I began to grow more aware and I realised working in a job I didn’t like was effecting me negatively.
I wasn’t able to concentrate my energy on creating things and doing what I loved, I lost motivation and delved into dark places in my mind, places of fear, disbelief and doubt.
A major highlighting moment for me was when I relieved myself of fear and negative energy, and quit my job to focus on Ill Magik and the things I love all day every day.
10. What stops you from throwing in the towel and giving up during those frustrating days of being in this industry?
Love and support from my family and friends.
There is no going back for me, this is what I love to do, this is the path I have chosen, it’s not easy but I enjoy the challenge.
11. Biggest risk ever taken?
Falling in love.
12. Who has influenced you most and been your greatest inspiration?
I’m constantly getting inspired, by the music I listen to, artists and creative minds around me, learning about nature and this universe we live in.
My greatest inspiration is from what some people would call ‘God’.
13. How do you go about marketing your business or yourself? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Social media and the internet has been a HUGE help with connecting with artists and reaching people.
I work with musicians and other talented people with sponsoring and promotion, collaborating with music events and photo/video shoots etc.
The most effective form of marketing for me has been word-of-mouth, networking and connecting with people in person.
14. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
In 5 years time Ill Magik will be worldwide, more garments more range with higher quality, constantly pushing limits and being different, creating and inspiring others.
In 10 years time…. Shit, I have no idea, my imagination is limitless.
15. What’s the first thing you would say to the world if all attention was on you right now?