Introducing: Matty Davis/ Luke Vickers- Milk UK Street Fashion
An exclusive interview with the UK (Lincoln) based Fashion Clothing Company: Matty Davis / Luke Vickers – Milk UK. Let’s find out where they come from and how they started in the Fashion Industry.
1. What is the start-up story behind your brand?
Milk was birthed from the boredom of life after University. We were getting bored of applying for jobs we didn’t want, so we decided to create our own by combining our interests for design and clothing.
2. Describe your visual concepts, what is it like? What are three words that best define it?
We consider ourselves a fun brand so we like to stand out with the use of bold colour combos and cartoon style graphic art. Funny , Creative, Bright is how we describe them.
3. In three words, characterize who you are.
Not, Enough, Words.
4. What’s something that’s always running inside your mind lately?
We are constantly thinking of ways to better our last release and how to promote our clothes in different ways, whether it’s with giant props or studio sets. New design ideas are a daily occurrence around the Milk studio.
5. Being in your position, I’m sure it can be overwhelming with the workload.How do you achieve balance in life?
Yes the workload can get pretty hectic, but we love doing what we do. Having a daily plan of action definitely makes things run smoothly. Sometimes there isn’t enough hours in the day though so we always make sure we have the coffee on deck for the late nights and early mornings!
6. What’s one incident that would serve as a turning point to your life?
When we started getting noticed by big time magazines who wanted to feature us. The fact that a member of their team took the time to click on our site and contact us is a crazy thought.
7. What three pieces of advice would you give to others when it comes to life & career?
Do a job you enjoy and love doing.
Don’t let anyone tell you that something isn’t possible.
Don’t take yourself too seriously and have fun.
8. What’s a typical day in your life like?
We get up early and check our social networks to see what’s been going on around the world when we’ve been asleep. We pack and ship any orders which are outstanding. We next edit and set up the promo images for the day and do the daily research to inspire new ideas for future releases. Every day is pretty much different, but these are the basics.
9. What’s one of the highlighting moment in your career? Why is it so?
Selling out of our Script hoodies within 3 weeks of release. Also shooting our latest summer collection as we had the chance to shoot at different locations with some amazing models. It finally hit us how fast we had grown within a year.
10. What stops you from throwing in the towel and giving up during those frustrating days of being in this industry?
Proving people wrong and progressing to our goals.
11. Biggest risk ever taken?
Taking a gamble on our summer line release. We had used techniques and manufacturing techniques which we hadn’t used before. It also cost a BOMB, so financially it was a big risk for a company so young in the game.
12. Who has influenced you most and been your greatest inspiration?
We have many influences, whether it’s Pop Culture, Movies, Cartoons, Art, General life etc. We have several brands we look up to and follow; Johnny Cupcakes, Benny Gold, Lazy Oaf, Abandon Ship, The Hundreds, Staple, Neff, ILTHY, THFKDLF, Play Cloths, to name a few! Even some independent brands: Deli Fresh Threads, Coolie High Clothing, Anything Goes Apparel all come out with awesome stuff!
13. How do you go about marketing your business or yourself? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Our social networks are used heavily for marketing and promo. We have been slowly building up a promo team which give us the extra reach when needed. We also get contacted by various people for features. Instagram has been very helpful when it comes to marketing our products as all of our promo is very visual.
14. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
In a bigger studio space with a team we have built along our journey. Stocked in some big retailers and also a store of our own would be sweet! Dream big.
15. What’s the first thing you would say to the world if all attention was on you right now?
For more information about Milk, you can visit their website at www.itsmilkuk.com. You may also check their Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts for more designs:
Thanks again for your time & effort! The people here look forward to seeing this!