Rhyme & Reason Clothing | U.K Streetwear
Interview with the U.K based (Birmingham) Streetwear clothing brand: Rhyme & Reason. May the fun begin.
1. What is the start-up story behind your brand?
We are two guys Jack Castleton & Marcel Rodney who are both 19 years old and have been friends since we were 5 at Junior school. Both of us have a strong interest in Music and what’s happening on the streets and love street clothing. However, the most important thing is we both had a dream to want to start and grow our own street clothing brand. After numerous meetings and planning it all became a reality and we are living the dream.
2. Describe your visual concepts, what is it like? What are three words that best define it?
Our logo’s Original & Vintage are BOLD and make a statement and are VERY VISUAL and loved by guys and girls but we have also purposely offered a visual where the logo’s are reduced in size without losing the brand identity they can be DISCREET and just saying ‘You just Know’ to everyone who sees them that you have the look .
3. In three words, characterize who you are.
Determined – Focused – Driven
4. What’s something that’s always running inside your mind lately?
New designs all the time it’s crazy we are scribbling ideas down all the time as we want to have new designs coming out soon.
5. Being in your position, I’m sure it can be overwhelming with the workload. How do you achieve balance in life?
It is tough holding down other roles while we grow the brand but we are both focused on the end game and ensure neither of us is down for long & stops believing or dreaming. We can’t and won’t give up.
6. What’s one incident that would serve as a turning point to your life?
When we had the idea and then approached my (Jack’s) dad who gave us great advice loads of help and guidance and is crucial to the business today helping us understand what it is all about and how to run a business.
7. What three pieces of advice would you give to others when it comes to life & career
Dream Bigger Dreams ! surround yourself with people you trust and never give up !
8. What’s a typical day in your life like?
Get up early go to the gym I find it works really well in getting me really focused on what I have to do that day. I get back and it’s my favorite time of the day when I log-on and check what orders have come in I then make sure we have the stock available and process them and leave for dispatch later.
If it’s a work day get myself ready and off to do a days work constantly thinking about what I need to do about R&R making lists re ordering stock etc during coffee and lunch break check the orders again and put down any fresh design ideas I have.
Make sure Marcel is OK and has up dated all of our social media sites with fresh content and pictures.
Meet Marcel later to ensure all orders are dispatched and have a hour brain storming about how we can make a brand better and reach more people. Then its normally after 12 when I drag myself shattered but happy to bed.
9. What’s one of the highlighting moment in your career? Why is it so?
Seeing our designs turned into clothes and then the excitement we felt when our first order came in and been contacted by you guys to do this who knows what this could lead to !!!!
10. What stops you from throwing in the towel and giving up during those frustrating days of being in this industry?
Family & friends and we wont give up on our dream and there is always something to take a positive from which could be a big order , comments from happy clients or pictures of clients in our clothes and the unexpected opportunities that come your way like you guys.
11. Biggest risk ever taken?
Making a financial commitment to setting up and running Rhyme & Reason as a proper business.
12. Who has influenced you most and been your greatest inspiration?
My Dad who listened to our dreams and helped make them real and then made us dream bigger !!
13. How do you go about marketing your business or yourself? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Social Media Instagram, twitter & Facebook without a doubt it has meant orders and amazing interest from all over the world. We have also been featured in local magazines and papers as ‘Local boy’s who are dong well ‘
14. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
5 year plan is working in the business ensuring the the brand is recognized and established and helping give employment to the local community and by the end of five years we are working on the business driving it forward with like minded creative guys running it.
In 10 years time helping guys like us now by investing in them and helping them realize their dreams.
15. What’s the first thing you would say to the world if all attention was on you right now?
Live every day like it’s your last and DREAM BIGGER DREAMS.
For more information on Rhyme & Reason, make sure you get in touch with them via Facebook (Rhyme and Reason)