Exclusive! Interview x The Koleksyon | Clothing Line
Follow the interview with The Koleksyon, a New York based 2014 start up brand that consists of different collections of ideas.
1. What is the start-up story behind your brand?
I’ve always had an interest in fashion. I enjoyed seeing what was new and in trend, but I soon found that a lot of brands were being mistaken for a fellow brand. I craved something that was original and more self expressive. Eventually I thought to myself, “why not create a brand for myself?”. From there, I came up with “The Koleksyon”.
2. Describe your visual concepts, what is it like? What are three words that best define it?
My visual concepts are clean and to the point. I take inspiration from the music I also create…sounds need to be sharp and easily received. I want the same for The Koleksyon. I don’t want my clothes being mistaken for something similar and for that reason, I try to have my designs be pretty straight forward. I want my customers to see my clothing and “just get it”. I think the best ways to best define my work are: fresh, spontaneous, and versatile.
3. In three words, characterize who you are.
Determined, optimistic and patient
4. What’s something that’s always running inside your mind lately?
As of lately, I’ve been occupied with the idea of successfully creating pieces of clothing that will intrigue a person almost instantly. I want my future customer to take a double take.
5. Being in your position, I’m sure it can be overwhelming with the workload. How do you achieve balance in life?
At times I am thinking of a million and one things so yes, it can be difficult to maintain a healthy balance between The Koleksyon and my passion for music production, but I find that keeping a strict schedule helps a lot. It allows me to meet due dates as well as keep me focused on the task I currently have at hand.
6. What’s one incident that would serve as a turning point to your life?
If The Koleksyon were to be picked up by a respectable clothing company, that would most definitely serve as a turning point in my life. To know that people share my same ideas would be great! For sure, that experience would give me a great sense of accomplishment because ultimately, my goal is to see my clothing hanging in some of my favorite stores.
7. What three pieces of advice would you give to others when it comes to life & career?
These seem cliche but I find them to be true…never settle for anything less than your goal, be patient, and don’t take your “failures” as failures but as lessons.
8. What’s a typical day in your life like?
A typical day for me starts early in the morning with me hand delivering shirts to customers that live locally. From there, I spend my day brainstorming and creating different ways to improve my marketing skills and concepts for my brand. In between that I work on my music. It’s a great stress reliever and creating sounds often leads to inspiration for my clothing.
9. What’s one of the highlighting moment in your career? Why is it so?
So far I’ve received positive feedback when it comes to The Koleksyon but I’d have to say that being contacted for an interview with StreetWearXHipHop has been the highlighting moment of my career. I mean, from this opportunity I don’t know where my brand can launch off to.
10. What stops you from throwing in the towel and giving up during those frustrating days of being in this industry?
My family with the support they give me its amazing they push me to limits that make me want to give up but i know its there way of making me stronger and want to strive for more. Mostly my mom she’s alway’s told me to be who i want to be as long as i made a positive impact on the world.
11. Biggest risk ever taken?
Truthfully, the biggest risk is investing my money. I want to make sure whatever I put out there is great quality, but that doesn’t always mean that people will appreciate it.
12. Who has influenced you most and been your greatest inspiration?
Naturally, my family but also a personal favorite quote by Bill Gates, “If you are born poor it’s not your fault. But if you die poor it’s your fault’.
13. How do you go about marketing your business or yourself? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
As of right now, my primary source of marketing is through Facebook and Instagram and it’s gotten me this far so I think it’s safe to say that I’m having some sort of success.
14. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
Honestly, I don’t know where I’ll be in 5 to 10 years…things change, life changes on you but I like to think that I’ll be continuing to expand The Koleksyon and owning my own store. Also, I’ll be paying off my mom’s debt for putting me through college.
15. What’s the first thing you would say to the world if all attention was on you right now?
I’m working hard so keep your eyes open.
Thanks again for your time & effort! The people here look forward to seeing this!